Monday, May 11, 2009

It's a Garbage Garden

I have never tried to grow a garden and this year I decided to make my first attempt. I have been reading like crazy to figure out the best way to have a garden in a rental house. I decided to make my garden by using recycled containers...Thus the name Garbage Garden.


I have been saving all my cans, jars, milk jugs and found some old planter containers I used in the past. I used some egg cartons to plant my seeds. The 24 egg pack from Costco has worked great. The egg carton is Styrofoam and I cut the top off and used it as a tray under the egg carton to catch the water. I also labeled by seeds by writing the seed info. on masking tape and taping it to toothpicks, which I stuck in the soil.


I have had success with the lettuce, peas, tomatoes, basil, sage, chives, and oregano, I planted. I am going to attempt again the peppers. thyme, onions, and cilantro seeds. I think that I soaked the seeds with water too long. I started watering the seeds from the bottom up and I think I did not drain them well enough before the next soaking. I now water the seeds with a bottle sprayer I had.


My peas are ready to be transplanted and I am excited. I am also picking up some strawberry plants for some hanging pots and I picked up a blueberry plant the other day and will be transplanting that as well.


I will report later on how the garbage garden is progressing.


Happy day to you all.

No comments: